Background

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sweet Unicorn


I hope you've all seen the movie "Despicable Me" because it's probably one of the best family movies I have seen!  The youngest sister in the movie is Agnes, and she reminds me of my little girl.  It just so happens that my little girl is having a birthday this weekend (she'll be a big 4 years old!) and the only thing she wants is a unicorn.  :)  She sings this cute little song to me from the video just to remind me that she is wanting a unicorn!  So, I decided it would be more special to make her a stuffed unicorn than to go out and buy one. 





Stuffed Unicorn Toy

Materials:
*I Hook
*Lion Brand yarn in Antique White and Caron Simply Soft yarn in Lilac
*Polyfill or other filler material.  I actually used a small bag of quilting batting because I figured it would be more difficult for her to pull apart.
*Yarn needle

BODY
-Magic Circle (or ch 4 and join w/ sl st
R1: 6 sc in center.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R2: Ch1. 2 sc in each stitch around.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R3: Ch1. 2 sc in 1st st.  1 sc in next.  *2 sc, 1 sc* Repeat *-* to end.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R4: Ch1. 2 sc in 1st st.  1 sc in next 2 st's.  *2 sc, 1 sc, 1 sc*  Repeat to end.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R5: Ch1. 2 sc in 1st st.  1 sc in next 3 st's.  *2 sc, 1 sc, 1 sc, 1 sc* Repeat to end.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R6-R20: Ch1. Sc in each st around.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R21: Ch1.*1 scdec, 1 sc* Repeat for a total of 10 times.
R22-R25:  Ch 1, turn.  *1 scdec, 1 sc* Repeat to firs stitch of previous row. 
R26: Ch 1, turn.  3 scdec, ch 1, turn.
R27: Skip 1 st.  Sl st.  Should now have a hole for the neck.  Stuff body at this point, and then continue with neck. in next rounds.
R28-R32: Ch1. Sc around.  Sl st in top of first stitch.

HEAD
-Magic Circle
R1: 8 sc in circle.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R2: Ch 1.  2 sc in each st around.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R3: Ch 1. *2 sc, 1 sc* Repeat around.    Sl st in top of first stitch.
R4: Ch 2.  2 dc.  12 sc.  3 dc.  SC to end of round.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R5-R11: Ch 1.  Sc in ea st around.  Sl st in top of first stitch.  Stuff this part of the head.
R12: Ch 1.  *1 sc, 1 scdec*  Repeat 5 times, sc to end of round.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R13: Ch 1.  *1 sc, 1 scdec*  Repeat 4 times, sc to end of round.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R14: Ch 1.  *1 sc, 1 scdec*  Repeat 3 times, sc to end of round.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R15-R17: Ch 1.  Sc around.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R18: Ch 1.  Scdec, 1 sc, 2 scdec, 1 sc, 1 scdec, 1 sc, 2scdec, 1 sc, 1 scdec.    *1 sc, 1 scdec*    Sl st in top of first stitch.  Tie off and leave long tail to sew with. 
Sew hole closed with tail of yarn.  Finish stuffing.  Attach head to body by stitching to neck.

LEGS (Make 4)
Begin with Lilac Yarn.
-Magic Circle
R1: Ch 1.  8 sc in circle.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R2: Ch 1.  2 sc in each st around.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R3-R5: Ch 1.  Sc around.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
Switch to Antique White
R6: Ch 1.  *Scdec, 2 sc*  Repeat to end.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R7-R13: Ch 1.  Sc around.  Sl st in top of first stitch.
R14-R17: Ch 1.  Scdec.  Sc around.  Sl st in top of first stitch.  Attach legs to body.

HORN
Ch 10.  Sl st in first stitch.
Ch 1.  Working in a spiral fashion: 10 sc, sk 1 st, 9 sc, sk 1 st, 8 sc, sk 1 st, 7 sc, sk 1 st, 6 sc, sk 1 st, 5 sc, sk 1 st, 4 sc, sk 1 st, 3 sc, sk 1 st, 2 sc, sk 1 st, sl st and tie off.  Hide end in center.  Attach horn to head.

Now you can create a mane and tail in whatever fashion you'd like.  I just tied on long strands on yarn for both.  To create the face, I stitched the nostrils and I crocheted small circles (Magic circle, then 6 sc in center and tie off with long tail to attach to face) for the eyes.  You could opt for toy eyes, but I could just picture my daughter ripping them off to play with them.  

Then, give this sweet little toy to a sweet little girl and enjoy her smile!

14 comments:

  1. This is so cute! What kind of Lion Brand Antique White yarn did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually used some yarn I had left over from one of the big Pound of Love skeins, but you won't need nearly that much yarn! I would suggest maybe even using Caron Simply Soft yarn (the same yarn used for the hooves) in a similar color, such as Off White or Vanilla. You just want the two yarns to be similar in texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Can I translate your pattern into French for French crocheters? And put it on my blog by putting the link to your blog and indicate that you are the original creator? thank you in advance for your answer.

    Tiamat
    www.Tiamat-Creations.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would be great. :) If you don't mind, send me a link after you've translated it and I can post it on this blog as well, in case anyone else may want to check it out.

      Delete
  4. So cure, would also love to try this. Thanks for sharing this.

    Facts About Rabbits

    ReplyDelete
  5. This unicorn is precious. I make "Happy" hats and toys for the children at our local Children's Hospital for their little cancer patients. I am going to see if I can make and add the unicorn to my Christmas collection I am crocheting for 2012. Thanks for the wonderful toy, the children will be so delighted. I am always looking for new animals to add to the collection. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    Your pattern in french is here: http://www.tiamat-creations.com/article-crochet-douce-licorne-102005515.html
    Thanks a lot and have a good day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    Is this crocheted in the round or am I supposed to turn at the end of each round?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have stated crocheting few months ago and I love your patterns. Thank you for sharing them. I have one question on the pattern on this section R2: Ch1. 2 sc in each stitch around. Sl st in top of first stitch. Do I slip stitch on every stitch or only in the first of the round?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wondering if someone could help me that made this. I'm stuck at the mnevck when I come to line 26 I only have 2 scdec that I can do. Can some one tell me why I'm doing wrong please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it possible to get a stitch count at the end of each line? I'm confused. I also don't quite understand the decreases to form the neck hole. Any help available would be appreciated. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am having the same problem as Jennifer above. But I haven't seen another comment since she asked about this in 2013. The body decrease for the neck hole does not work out. And a stitch count for each row would really help. The Unicorn is so cute and I want to make it correctly. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete