Background

Monday, October 24, 2011

Chevron Baby Blanket (and a headache)

I loved these colors together and immediately thought "Chevron!"

I love the texture of this blanket!  :)


Materials:
* H Hook
*Lion Brand "Pound of Love" in Pastel Green and Antique White (1 of each)

Stitches Used:
Ch-Chain
DC-Double Crochet
DCdec-Double Crochet Decrease

Notes:
*DCdec = YO insert hook in stitch, YO and draw up a loop, YO, draw through 2 loops on hook, YO insert hook in next stitch, YO and draw up a loop, YO, draw through 2 loops on hook, YO and draw through all 3 lps on hook.

*Doing a ripple pattern can get tricky!  Here's a tip: Don't stress!  This blanket frustrated me for HOURS!  I swore I did my math wrong and rewrote it about a dozen times!  I wanted a Chevron Blanket and I could see it in my head!  I knew it could be done and I was going to do it!  

***BIG TIP: If you find that things aren't lining up for whatever reason (or for NO reason) then here's how to get yourself back on track without having to rip everything out and start over again.  At the beginning, you should have to make 3 DC's before making the valley.  This may mean putting 2 DC's in a stitch that maybe didn't require it.  I don't know why, but I've talked to other crocheters and they have all said the same thing: sometimes, that wavy pattern just gets messed up without rhyme or reason.  Also, The DCdec should start in the stitch just before the top of the first DC dec from the previous row.  The 2 DC dec's should go over the 2 DC dec from the previous row.  Here's some pictures of what I mean:

See the 2 DCdec's?  They create the valley.

The first DCdec of the working row is being worked right on top of the DCdec from the previous row.
***Another BIG TIP:  To make the peaks, the 2 DC's in the same stitch should be made in the 2nd stitch of the first set of 2 DC's from the previous row.  This means the total 4 DC's are made in the 2 center DC's of the previous 4 DC's.  Make sense?  Here's a picture:

2 DC's in the top of the peak
In between the peaks and valleys, there should be 3 DC's made.  Example: 1 DC in each of the next 3 stitches, make peak, 1 DC in each of the next 3 stitches, make valley (how to make peaks and valleys are explained in the instructions)


 Chevron Baby Blanket

(Worked in multiples of 12 + 3)

Ch 111.

R1: Work 1 DC in 4th ch from hook, 1 DC in next 3 ch, DCdec twice, 1 DC in next 3 ch, 2 DC in next ch, *2 DC in next ch, 1 DC in each of next 3 ch, DCdec twice, 1 DC in next 3 ch, 2 DC in next ch; rep from * to end. Turn.

R2: Ch 3, 2 DC in first dc, 1 DC in next 3 DC, DCdec twice, 1 DC in next 3 DC, 2 DC in next DC, *2 DC in next DC, 1 DC in next 3 DC, DCdec twice, 1 DC in next 3 DC, 2 DC in next DC; rep from *, end last rep with 2 DC in top of turning chain. Turn.

R3: Ch 3 (counts as 1 DC), 1 DC in first DC, 1 DC in next 3 DC, DCdec twice, 1 DC in next 3 DC, 2 DC in next DC, *2 DC in next DC, 1 DC in next 3 DC, DCdec twice, 1 DC in next 3 DC, 2 DC in next DC; rep from * to end. Turn.

R4-R80: Rep rows 2 and 3, creating 10 rows of each color

11 comments:

  1. Hi, I've just found you via The Crochet Way - you've started a lovely blog! :) I like your blankets, and thanks for sharing all those patterns!

    Hope you'll enjoy blogging as much as crocheting :)

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barbara! I'm having a great time with the blog so far! I hope I can keep coming up with things that others will enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blanket...Thanks for sharing. I am a huge fan of the ripple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This absolute balked me for HOURS! I swore I did my algebraic amiss and rewrote it about a dozen times!

    Knit

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started this pattern and my first row ended with the 2 DC dec stitches. I know that isnt right but I dont know what I did wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this using the US terms or the British Terms? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. My blanket won't sit flat. . Frustrating me to death

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this pattern. My blanket is turning out so cute! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. what are the measurements of this blanket?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Have made this blanket twice now and i have never had the rows go off on me. I ended every row with two dc in the chain top of the chain 3 at the beginning of the previous row and started every row with the beginning intructions for row 3, then just repeated that over and over and my rows worked perfectly with no adjusting. If my row was off it was due to a stitch error that I had made earlier in the row. Love this pattern!

    ReplyDelete